TBU Publications
Repository of TBU Publications

Crystallization of poly(N-methyldodecano-12-lactam) in blends with poly(styrene-stat-acrylic acid)

DSpace Repository

Show simple item record

dc.title Crystallization of poly(N-methyldodecano-12-lactam) in blends with poly(styrene-stat-acrylic acid) en
dc.contributor.author Kratochvíl, Jaroslav
dc.contributor.author Sikora, Antonín
dc.relation.ispartof European Polymer Journal
dc.identifier.issn 0014-3057 Scopus Sources, Sherpa/RoMEO, JCR
dc.date.issued 2007-05
utb.relation.volume 43
utb.relation.issue 5
dc.citation.spage 2155
dc.citation.epage 2164
dc.type article
dc.language.iso en
dc.publisher Pergamon Elsevier Science Ltd. en
dc.identifier.doi 10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2007.02.004
dc.relation.uri https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0014305707000845
dc.subject polymer blends en
dc.subject crystallization en
dc.subject secondary crystallization en
dc.subject differential scanning calorimetry en
dc.subject wide-angle X-ray diffraction en
dc.description.abstract Crystallization behaviour of blends of poly(N-methyldodecano-12-lactam) (PMDL) with statistical copolymer poly(styrene-stat-acrylic acid) (PSAA) has been studied by the DSC and WAXD methods. The blend films prepared from dioxane solutions were crystallized at laboratory temperature for five days. Approximate crystallinities of as-prepared neat lower-PMDL 5 and higher-molecular weight PMDL 45 were 28% and 19%, respectively. With increasing PSAA content in the blends the crystallinities decreased sharply. The melting point of the primary crystalline structure of PMDL showed a decreasing dependence on PSAA content in the blends, confirming miscibility of the PMDL-PSAA pair. Recrystallization was strongly suppressed in the blends. The lower-melting endotherm appearing at about 10-15 degrees C above the crystallization temperature was attributed to melting to I ess perfect structures formed during secondary crystallization. In neat PMDL, the extent of secondary crystallization was approximately 5-10%. In the blends containing 20% PSAA approximate relative proportion of secondary crystallites on total crystallinity was 40% and 60% for the blends with PMDL 5 and PMDL 45, respectively. WAXD measurements did not reveal any change in crystal modification on blending. Increased T-g in blends of flexible PMDL cannot play a significant role in suppression of primary in favour of secondary crystallization. This was attributed to low mobility of PMDL chains due to dilution effect and specific interactions with the amorphous copolymer component.. and. in case of the higher-molecular-weight PMDL, a greater involvement of entanglements. Higher T-g of blends was involved in retardation of non-isothermal crystallization on cooling and subsequent cold crystallization. (C) 2007 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved. en
utb.faculty Faculty of Technology
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/10563/1002102
utb.identifier.obdid 43865406
utb.identifier.scopus 2-s2.0-34247515254
utb.identifier.wok 000247040600059
utb.identifier.coden EUPJA
utb.source j-wok
dc.date.accessioned 2011-08-16T15:06:29Z
dc.date.available 2011-08-16T15:06:29Z
dc.description.sponsorship 106/02/1248, GACR, Grantová Agentura České Republiky
utb.contributor.internalauthor Sikora, Antonín
utb.scopus.affiliation Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Heyrovského nám. 2, 162 06 Praha 6, Czech Republic; Joint Laboratory for Polymer Materials, Tomas Bata University Zlín, Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry, Heyrovského nám. 2, 162 06 Praha 6, Czech Republic
Find Full text

Files in this item

Show simple item record